Last evening found me sitting in the garden. My son wanted me to watch him playing football. It is not my desire to bore you with stories of my life lived. Instead, I would like to share powerful learning from my experience. Roughly about thirty minutes into being a spectator, I developed a massive headache. My ears hurt, my nose burned and my eyes had turned red. No, my son had nothing to do with it. The building management desired to remove pests by spraying the building with pesticide. Pest Control!
The World Health Organization estimates that 3 million people get pesticide poisoning each year. Over 200,000 die. Pesticides are designed to kill by definition. It is not discerning about who and if you happen to be in the way, then so be it. Pesticide exposure can cause a host of neurological health effects including memory loss, loss of motor control, reduced response rates to stimuli, decreased visual capacity, degeneration of mood and behaviour. Pesticides have both active and inert ingredients. Active ingredients are what kill the pests. The inactive ingredients have a lower threshold for testing and reporting and are therefore often not adequately tested for its effects on humans.
Protocol says that it is better to avoid pests thereby not needing pest control. Pests are created by poor treatment of garbage and waste, accumulation of water because of poor drainage, a cluttered room of surroundings especially things like newspapers, magazines and storage boxes. Look for crevices and cracks and seal them up.
In a garden like the one my son was playing in, there were plenty of reasons to generate pests. Here is the thing though; children play in this yard. Their tolerance to pesticide is even lower than that of adults. You don’t want your child to inhale the harmful pesticides that are designed to kill rodents perhaps one third their size.